From Profit Confidential January 21, 2013 - 11:56am
Companies in key stock indices like the S&P 500 have started reporting their corporate earnings for the fourth quarter of 2012.
There is a heavy concentration of earnings in a small number of S&P 500 companies. Only 10 companies in the S&P 500 make up 88% of all corporate earnings for the index as per Morgan Stanley research; the other 490 companies only make up a menial 12% of the total corporate earnings of the S&P 500. (Source: Business Insider, November 26, 2012.)
According to Thompson Reuters, fourth-quarter corporate earnings for S&P 500 companies are only expected to grow 1.9% year-over-year. Only three months ago, this earnings estimate was as high as 9.9%; this past summer, fourth-quarter 2012 earnings were expected to be 13.7% higher than fourth-quarter 2011 earnings. (Source: Streetwise, January 12, 2013.)
Since it’s still early, not many companies in the...
This is the largest topic on ewallstreeter. This topic aggregates news and investment advice from over 200 different news sources. It covers all the financial markets, collectively known as Wall Street, as well as international news which affects our markets.